Re: [OM] Film ain't dead, yet

Subject: Re: [OM] Film ain't dead, yet
From: Paul Cox <tastydoublecapp@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 09:50:00 -0500
Ken,

In all things art, to each his or her own.  Personally, this one really
appeals to me.  I do like the composition, but what really pulls me in are
the colors.  Love those greens, and the splash of yellow on the left hand
side.  The shallow DoF accentuates the color mix by drawing attention away
from the subject details (if that makes sense).  Very nice lighting, and I
really like the effect of the grain.  Grain is actually one of the main
reasons I still tend to prefer film.  I don't always (usually?) want my
pictures to look exactly as my eye saw them.   Grain, for me at least, is
one of those things that keeps shots from having that candy-coated quality
that seems to make many photographs I find on the web look so similar.  I
always have a chuckle when I see a lovely, grainy b&w shot and some one
comments that they like it, but there needs to be less grain.  I imagine the
photographer with steam coming out his ears.  :-D

Paul