Re: [OM] Live view operation, was: E-thingy body recommendation

Subject: Re: [OM] Live view operation, was: E-thingy body recommendation
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2010 19:44:35 -0400
Yes, the LCD runs directly off the sensor in live view.  Whether the LCD
can be run by the sensor during exposure is a technology implementation
question but one which I think is immaterial to the discussion.  As
Moose pointed out yesterday it may well be necessary for the shutter to
be closed and then reopened to effect the exposure.  That's typically
required on "full-frame" sensors (where the term full-frame here is a
sensor design point and has nothing to do with sensor size).

But even if the shutter needs to close momentarily (to dump the charge
on the sensor's capacitors in preparation for the real exposure) that is
no reason to lower and raise the mirror again (which causes vibration
during what is probably a macro shot).  The only reason to lower the
mirror is to a) get to the phase detect autofocus sensors or b) the
metering system's photocells because both the metering cells and phase
detect sensors are in the pentaprism area.  But with manual focus and
manual exposure control... there's no reason to go there.

Chuck Norcutt