Re: [OM] odd CF card (or E3) behaviour

Subject: Re: [OM] odd CF card (or E3) behaviour
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2010 13:17:19 -0400
Time for some diagnostic work and some questions.

Are you shooting raw?  If so do you know anything about the file
structure of an E3 raw file.  Or are you shooting JPEG?  When the images
display on the LCD can you magnify them?

On a Minolta A1 when shooting in raw mode the camera produces a separate
thumbnail JPEG file which is used to feed the LCD.  If the raw file was
corrupt the thumbnail might still be readable and give the appearance
that all was OK.  But the thumbnail is only big enough to fit the LCD.
It cannot be magnified.

The Canon 5D, on the other hand, produces its raw file with an embedded
JPEG of, IIRC, 4MP.  It's possible to magnify the LCD image but at 4MP
it contains less detail than the raw file.

What you have to figure out is whether what the camera is writing is
corrupted or what's being read back is what's corrupted or if its your
computer or reader that's doing the corruption on either the initial
read/write or the later read back.

The first thing to do is replace the card with another one.  Do you see
the same thing?  If not it's the card.  If so you need to test different
modes.  If you were shooting raw try JPEG or vice-versa or even raw +
JPEG.  Can you read back and magnify and see the entire image on the
LCD.  That means not just viewing the image immediately after it was
taken (probably still in an internal buffer) but also switching to
display mode on the camera and being able to step through multiple
images and fully magnify them on the LCD.  If this works on the second
card but not on your original then it's the original card.  If it
doesn't work on the second card then the problem is with the camera.  If
the test (including fully magnifying more than one image on the LCD)
works on both cards then you've got a problem with your computer or the
card reader being used.

My 5D can't do it but I seem to recall that the E3 can do an in-camera
raw to JPEG conversion.  Does that work?

Chuck Norcutt