Re: [OM] Live view operation, was: E-thingy body recommendation

Subject: Re: [OM] Live view operation, was: E-thingy body recommendation
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2010 16:03:34 -0700
  On 7/2/2010 11:56 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
> No kidding. I doubt neither Chuck or Moose would be seen with one.

If it did what I wanted competently, and as well or better than the
alternatives, I'd be happy to have one. To date,
beginning with my personal E-1 vs. 300D face-off, that has not been the case.

Everyone's needs are different. For example, you and others here highly value
E-thingie colors.  If I did event shooting
and portraits in volume, and especially for income, I might feel the same way.
The vast majority of what I shoot has no
obvious color reference, so it doesn't matter so much to me. My Canons render
most images with colors that seem like
what I remember shooting, so I'm happy with that aspect of them.

> Especially now that I've sworn off most things FourThirds (this week, at
> least) they feel validated in their decision to go against the current and
> step out in their high-risk, fringe product, Canon 5D camera systems. What
> trailblazers they are.

Again, whatever works, and whatever it takes to make something work. I bought
the A650IS on faith, as I knew it would
take the risk of using hacker developed add-on firmware, the added workflow and
annoyance of non-mainstream RAW
conversion software and more added workflow to get EXIF into the final images
to get what I wanted out of it. But I
couldn't find a better alternative. In hindsight, I'm still sure it was the
best solution to what I wanted to do at the
time.

I've railed against Samsung IQ in the past. Today, I have a Samsung hz35w in a
shopping cart while I contemplate further
how and how much I might really use it. If someone asked me for a
recommendation for a compact super/travel zoom, that's
what I'd name today. For some time before, it would have been a Panny.

People tend to project their own behaviors onto others. I'm not a Canonista. I
happen to use some Canon cameras (and a
couple of scanners) for the same reasons I have a Costco version Cuisinart
toaster oven, an Olds convertible, and on,
and on, matching the capabilities of what's available, price and my needs.

A. Pragmatic Moose