Re: [OM] Seeking Hard Drive Advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Seeking Hard Drive Advice
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2010 15:56:40 -0700
  On 7/3/2010 3:24 PM, Jim Nichols wrote:
> Hi Moose,
>
> Thanks for the thoughtful dissertation. ...  Since the computer was purchased
> in 2005, I figure that most current drives will outlive the computer itself.

Well, a while ago, I bought a drive to back-up my C: and it died in the process
of the back-up. From a major maker, a
drive that looked good from reviews.

> I just hate to get in the business of testing hard drives, and duplicating
> the bad choices that others may have made.

As the above illustrates, and as was the primary thrust of my dissertation;
statistically, it's simply not possible to
significantly better your chances of a failure through intelligent choice. It
seems that one should be able to, but I
don't think it's true.

In addition to the pure statistical situation, the manufacturers are in a
continuous process of changing their products
under the skin, both to lower costs and to improve performance/reliability.
I've received two drives on the same order
with different hardware/firmware ID nos. There are some thing we just can't
know.

As a completely statistically meaningless data point, I used that principle in
buying my most recent two, 1TB, HD,
buying the least expensive name brand at the time, and have had no trouble yet.
I can say with assurance that I spent
almost infinitely less time, effort and brain cells doing it that way.

Moose