Re: [OM] Seeking Hard Drive Advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Seeking Hard Drive Advice
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2010 15:29:02 +0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "Moose" <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>

> Even the best manufacturer doesn't really know how a new model will fare
> in the real world until there are many
> thousands in service. Back when I spent a lot of time reading reviews, I
> encountered examples of this. A model would
> have problems and the manufacturer would change the drive, then later
> users would say it was fine.
>
> The least cost solution, in time and sanity, at least, still seems to me
> to be the one I outlined.

If you representing the typical consumer than the world of quality has
ended, everyone just find the cheapest product to buy and rely on warranty
to cover his purchase and think it is the right way. Fortunately most people
still buy according to the reputation of the manufacturer if they want good
quality product. Of couse it doesn't count many buy according to fashion,
look and new features....

You are TOTALLY wrong if you think the manufacturer have not idea on the
life time of a product until there are many thousands in service. A
reasonable good manufacturer knows very well each component they used, such
as the life time of the capacitor on their product, not only the well known
short life electrolyte cap. even the high quality film cap will die just in
a few years in the power circuit, it die with cap. value decrease and in the
worse cases even short circuit.

Failure cames in three ways:

1. The design of the product - wrong tolerance (both electrical and
mechanical), choose of not suitable components. All these can be avoid with
experience designer and a straight checking procedure. Such as software
circuit simulation, prototype testing with component value shift simulation.
Finally, there is a reliability test, a few tens or hundreds to be put into
test for months before putting into mass production.

2. Supplied component quality, this is the most difficult part and also
causes most trouble based on my experience. But the lighting company I
worked for doing quite well here, the supplier cannot change their material
or process until it is approved by us. For every new component there is
extensive test before used on the product. A new supplier need more
complicated procedures, which require a few months or even years before
approval. We also have to visit the suppliers regularly to audit their
process.

3. Internal manufacturing problem - this including poor process and wrong
component used. The control require a smooth system with clear documented
and followed procedure.

In real life every company could do differently and concentrated on
different areas. Cost reduction pressure is high and changing to a smaller
supplier with less overhead/cost is a common way, this always cause problem.
So if you just looking for the cheapest product you will end up with more
trouble.

A poor manufacturer will not suddenly release reliable products, you just
take the chance.

C.H.Ling