[OM] [OT] The 5D came back

Subject: [OM] [OT] The 5D came back
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2010 16:45:40 -0400
I forgot to mention that the 5D came back from Canon after its mirror
repair and was only gone for 5 days total including UPS to New Jersey
and back via FedEx.  In addition to the mirror repair they say they also
cleaned the sensor.  The exterior of the camera and the eyepiece are
very clean but the sensor looks just about as it would if I had decided
it needed to be cleaned.  In fact, one of the largest and darkest dust
blobs I have ever seen on this sensor just suddenly appeared between
test shots #2 and #3 of 3.  It wasn't there on #1 @ f/22 or #2 @ f/16
but was there in all its glory in #3 at f/11.  Oh, well, off to get the
cleaning brush.

I'm glad I took it outside to check for sensor dust.  In the process I
discovered that they had reset the camera to all of its defaults.  But I
guess that was to be expected if I'd thought about it before hand.  I've
tried to set it back but I'm sure I've forgotten something.

The camera also came back with a battery installed though I had removed
my own before shipping.  I thought at first perhaps they'd given me a
new battery to atone for their sins with the mirror problem.  But after
inspecting the battery it's clear it came from someone's test bench.  It
has many, many more scratches on the electrical contacts and elswehere
than my original (now 4 year old) battery.  We'll see how long it lasts.

Chuck Norcutt