[OM] Whatever it is, it is

Subject: [OM] Whatever it is, it is
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2010 21:48:30 -0500
I shot an event today (sorry, pictures aren't available for public
consumption), and am going over the shots. Everything was taken with
the PanaLeica 14-50 zoom, and the Panasonic L1. The colors and
contrast are typical Panasonic blah (needing some help there), but the
lens is just something else. I really enjoyed the DZ 14-54, but this
lens appears to be optimized for people photography in that 2-3 meter
distance. I could try explaining what I'm seeing or sensing, but would
probably get ridiculed as all other Leica snobs are when they get into
trying to explain the unexplainable.

Each time I shoot this lens I see it drawing the scene a little
differently, but once in a while it just drops in your lap that
something is different. What just floors me is how a picture which
isn't sharp even looks sharp. I'm not sure how this is possible or
even plausible, but you can mess up the focus or even have motion blur
and the image still works. I'm clueless how, but it happens.

So, enough babbling and opening myself up to probably well-deserved
criticism, but this skeptic is just shrugging his shoulders at it all.

AG