Re: [OM] Seeking Hard Drive Advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Seeking Hard Drive Advice
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 19:07:22 +0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "Moose" <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>\

> You buy one way, I buy another. It means nothing, statistically, but is
> amusing, that I have had only one HD failure in
> my life. And that cost me only a few minutes of time and $5 shipping, as
> it failed immediately.

May be the different in experience count, without serious counting I have
used more than 12pcs 3.5" hard disks and the number of failure is around 4.
No one was DOA, all worked for over a year, that was a lot. The experience
in PC production during the 80's and 90's also contributed some. I saw
rather high failure rate in the late 80's 3.5" full height HD.

>> Quality is not 100%, so there is quality level, we can't say it is not
>> ENTIRELY controllable then there is no different between A and B. Even
>> both have chance of failure but I sure prefer the one with lower
>> percentage of field failure report.
>
> Great, your choice. I make a different one.

Ok, I respect your way of choice.

>> If talking about electronic products (toaster oven not counted :-)), I
>> don't think there is big different.
>
> Ah, but mine is electronic, with a microprocessor and electronic controls.
> And there is a difference to me. I'm the cook
> in this house, and there are differences in ease of operation, temperature
> evenness and accuracy, and so on. With only
> two people to cook for, I now hardly ever use the regular oven. So I'm
> saving on electricity, too
>
> This one even makes better toast than the last one. You know why? Because
> of the processor. Instead of simply timing the
> toast setting, it adjusts based on the oven internal temperature at the
> start. I like it. :-)

Wow, I don't know there are microprocessor controlled toaster oven, ours is
simple metallic thermal controlled one. It works and gives rather consistant
result and cost one third of a 1TB HD. We are not very demanding on toaster
oven as we use it less than once a week.

Haha! It also happen that I'm the cook at the house after retired and I cook
for four. I'm rather fond of hi-tech oven, six years ago we purchased a
Panasonic top inverter type microwave oven with steam and heater, it was
over $500 but eventually found it is even poorer than our old microwave only
oven. The problem is uneven heat on the food when microwave is used, it is
due to missing a turntable. Last year, it failed and retired, we purchased
another Panasonic, same type but much cheaper ($300), I expected the
microwave problem was solved but unfortunately it is the same.

BTW, isn't all toast oven using heating wire? How it can save electricity?

C.H.Ling