Re: [OM] Seeking Hard Drive Advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Seeking Hard Drive Advice
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 07:21:27 -0400
Perhaps I didn't make myself clear.  While the change from 4 to 5
platters changed a lot of parts (as you identified) I was proposing that
that change, while certainly posing some risks, was actually a rather
low risk change since it utilized well known mechanical design
techniques.  Drive manufacturers (although perhaps not the current
3-1/2" engineering crew) have been to 5 platters (and far beyond) in the
past.  On the other hand, the change from horizontal to vertical
recording was a dramatic change of the entire technology... and no one
had ever been there before.  Even so, I'd avoid 2TB drives in favor of 1
or 1.5TB for a while. :-)

Chuck Norcutt