Re: [OM] Seeking Hard Drive Advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Seeking Hard Drive Advice
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 08:27:53 -0400
Apparently you do not use cloning software to back up your boot drive.
One of my backup drives is always an identical drive to the boot drive.
  I use cloning software to make a sector by sector copy of the boot
drive.  Should the boot drive fail it's only a matter of plugging in the
clone drive to replace it.  No need to reinstall the OS or applications.

It used to be a lot of work to make a clone drive with IDE drives since
it was necessary to install it in the computer's case along with the
boot drive.  But eSATA drives have made it much simpler as have the
drive docking stations that Moose and I use.  The only problem with
making a clone drive is that you can't use the computer during backup.
The cloning software has to boot the computer directly since the OS
can't be allowed to control the computer and use the drive while it's
being copied.

I use an obsolete copy of Acronis (version 9.0) on my XP machine.
Acronis is a general backup solution (which I don't use) but it also has
a cloning capability for the boot drive.  I'm not sure what the current
version of Acronis is but version 9.0 works on my computer just fine and
because it was back level I bought it on line for about $10.

Chuck Norcutt