Re: [OM] Seeking Hard Drive Advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Seeking Hard Drive Advice
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 15:23:35 -0700
  On 7/5/2010 5:27 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:

> I use an obsolete copy of Acronis (version 9.0) on my XP machine. Acronis is
> a general backup solution (which I don't use) but it also has a cloning
> capability for the boot drive.  I'm not sure what the current version of
> Acronis is but version 9.0 works on my computer just fine and because it was
> back level I bought it on line for about $10.

Thanks for reminding me! My simple back-up of C: is old and I've meant to find
a clone/image product to allow direct
recovery. A bit of looking turned up the fact that both Seagate and WD have
free versions of Acronis for use with their
drives. The Seagate version apparently looks and acts like Acronis, but doesn't
admit the heritage. WD provides "Acronis
9 WD"

Since my boot drive and back-up drive are identical model WDs, I've downloaded
Acronis WD. Now reading the manual, which
seems to offer a confusing array of options. I think I'll do a clone, but the
idea of image files that can be stored in
more than one place is attractive, too.

Reading this stuff makes my head hurt a bit, but I suppose I should persevere.

Moose