Re: [OM] IMG: Art

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Art
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2010 08:50:40 -0400
Poor wording on my part.  I wasn't referring to Panasonic's bigger
sensor but other manufacturer's larger APS-C sensors such as Sony and
Samsung.  I expect Pentax and others will be along shortly.

And I'm afraid you're not quite right about the GH1's multiformat
sensor.  It is 9% wider than would be necessary for 4:3 alone.  The
maximum image circle captured has a diameter of 5,000 pixels which is
achieved at 4:3, and very nearly at 3:2 and 16:9  But the square format
only achieves an image circle of 4,231 pixels.  Furthermore, the 12
megapixel rating is only achieved at 4:3.  At 3:2 the sensor produces
11.4 MP, at 16:9 it's 10.7 MP and in square format only 9 MP.

Chuck Norcutt