Re: [OM] Seeking Hard Drive Advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Seeking Hard Drive Advice
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 21:54:09 +0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "Moose" <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>

> Do you suppose heat has been a factor for you? I guess drives have always
> run fairly hot, but it seems like the higher
> capacity, higher rotational speed ones of more recent years run really
> hot.

Cases seem mixed, two failures were suspected due to heat (with one stacked
drives), and the other two were not running at high temperature case (2.4GHz
Celeron, single HD and DVD with only one or no add on card).

> Before I got more external enclosures and the docking station, this latest
> box had four 3.5" HDs in it. It just seemed
> too hot in there to me. I did some research and found HDTune, a little
> free app that does a number of HD functions,
> including reporting the temperature.
>
> Some of my drives were way above specified temp! I took a drive out and
> added two dual fans that sit on the bottom of
> drives. I also took a critical look inside the box and looked at what I
> imagined to be the airflow.

With four HDs in a box the temp. must be too high. I don't like fan, I
preferred to use lower power processor even the price is higher and also
2.5" drives. The later display card also consume less power, I always try to
get the one without fan.

Fan noise and dust cleaning is no fun. The only fans inside my computer are
the one for the processor and the one inside the power supply. I switch the
power supply with one having lower fan noise, which is more expensive then
the "case with power supply" I purchased. I also change the processor
fan/heatsink, the one came with the CPU is just too noisy.

>> Wow, I don't know there are microprocessor controlled toaster oven, ours
>> is simple metallic thermal controlled one. It works and gives rather
>> consistant result and cost one third of a 1TB HD. We are not very
>> demanding on toaster oven as we use it less than once a week.
>
> I now use it as my primary oven, so the extra control is very useful.
> Probably bigger than yours, too.

I have mis-interprete your "toaster oven", I thought you were talking about
the one for toast (slice of bread).

>> I'm rather fond of hi-tech oven, six years ago we purchased a Panasonic
>> top inverter type microwave oven with steam and heater, it was over $500
>> but eventually found it is even poorer than our old microwave only oven.
>> The problem is uneven heat on the food when microwave is used, it is due
>> to missing a turntable. Last year, it failed and retired, we purchased
>> another Panasonic, same type but much cheaper ($300), I expected the
>> microwave problem was solved but unfortunately it is the same.
>
> Now THAT's when reading lots of reviews pays off. People do write user
> reviews and tell about things you otherwise
> wouldn't know. My microwave is a simple, inexpensive one, with turntable
> that cooks quite evenly.

I only read review before purchasing camera and computer stuffs, I just
expected home appliances should be very simple and work well, it seems that
as simple as an oven there are still lots of room to improve.

>> BTW, isn't all toast oven using heating wire? How it can save
>> electricity?
>
> It uses rods, but you are right - all electric resistance heat is about
> the same efficiency. More efficient for me
> because I use it instead of the ancient oven in my range. Much smaller
> volume to heat. Also, it has  a convection mode,
> which shortens cooking times. Very, very seldom do I need the larger oven.

It make sense to use smaller oven if you don't need the size, save energy
and better to the environment.

C.H.Ling