Re: [OM] Iowa Zuikofest Redux

Subject: Re: [OM] Iowa Zuikofest Redux
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 10:18:25 -0500
Yes, I'll admit that the 14-50 mounted on that E-410 did look just a
bit "off". Not too shabby, though. Shame the aperture ring doesn't
function on the Olympus bodies. Olympus engineers aren't as smart as
Panasonic engineers.

In the "ideal conditions" we had Saturday (Sunny 16), I don't think
we're going to see much of any difference between the pictures, but I
did see something in the Olympus lens different than the Leica lens in
two two or three shots I took. It ended up being a similar thing as to
what I've seen with my old 14-54. The overall contrast is about the
same, but Zones 4-5 lack tonal separation as compared to the Leica.
The Leica lens has just a it more contrast in the midtones, I think.
The 14-50 really does come into its own when shooting people in less
than ideal lighting conditions.

Joel, we'll try to get together at least one more time before moving.
The hostage shift lens was freed in anticipation of the impending
changes, but that doesn't mean we're not going to shoot again. You and
Paul are fantastic to shoot with.

> lens would rub on the prism overhang.  I razz Ken about his occasional
> hyperbole, but I think he has been holding back a bit on the sheer
> look-and-feel qualities of this lens.

Hyperbole?  Me? I'm being as quiet as a church mouse these days. No
hyperbole here.

AG