Re: [OM] TOPE 43 shooting season announcement (last of the TOPEs?)

Subject: Re: [OM] TOPE 43 shooting season announcement (last of the TOPEs?)
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 21:00:23 -0500
TOPE ramblings ,,,

I'd like TOPE to continue, but it could be reduced to twice a year.  I
think that might improve things for those of us at the more northerly
or southerly reaches of the globe.  I cannot often meet the theme in
the dead of winter, so one period is just lost.  The risk however of
too long an interval is to postpone fulfillment, but it seems
reasonable.  Perhaps use the solstices as the transition points.

It might be a pain for Olaf (or Ken), but the longer period might
permit the release of a photo a day.  This might stimulate more
comments on each photo.  What if each comment appeared as a list post
once it is submitted?

Some of our more conspicuous list personalities don't participate
because they don't shoot anything Olympus much anymore.  I think if
one is sufficiently interested in belonging to this list, he or she
should be allowed to submit, regardless of the shooter of choice.
That way they can quietly show why X-Y-Z camera system is the cat's
PJs and why Olympus lost its way (if they want to make that point),
while Olympus shooters can seek to hold onto the flag and dispel
doubts as to the brilliance of the 4/3 experiment.  A little
competitive stimulation like that wouldn't hurt, though I'm not
terribly keen on anything as formal as a juried outcome.  Just
good-natured bragging and hyperbole!

OK, never mind the last suggestion.  Although I think list membership
ought to be enough to submit.

I wouldn't mind seeing a repeat of some of the first themes again.
Which TOPES seemed to produce the best results?  Can we better
ourselves if we go at it again?

It would be nice if there were more incentive to comment on the
photos.  The lack of comments has created the impression that TOPE is
no longer very relevant to people.  Perhaps folks don't really look at
the TOPEs anymore?  Perhaps the themes don't motivate enough people to
do create their best work.  Frankly, I get much more inspiration from
a variety of Flickr galleries than I have gotten from TOPE for a long,
long time.  For example, if I submit something to the Voigtlander
Perkeo gallery on Flickr, I pick the best thing I can to represent
myself and the camera.  And I am just blown away at times by what I
see in some of those galleries.

I wouldn't mind having a TOPE that is repeated periodically whose
theme is nothing more than "submit a photo that represents the best
work you have done lately."  Wouldn't that be a fun gallery?

Also, what if no gallery were a go unless we hit a critical mass of,
say, 25 (or 30 or 40) submissions?

Joel W.