Re: [OM] IMG: Cluster + "Limp Home Mode"

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Cluster + "Limp Home Mode"
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 17:56:07 -0400
That's lovely.  Mine have finally started blooming today and I had good
light.  Unfortunately, getting the transaxle fixed took precedence today.

Today I also learned about a thing I'd never heard of before called the
"limp home mode".  Apparently different auto manufacturers implement it
in various ways.  When the engine computer can't quite figure out what's
going on it disables or restricts some function(s) such that you can't
ignore that something is wrong, are unlikely to abuse the car to the
point of destruction but the car is not totally disabled and you are
still able to "limp home".

In the case of my 99 Chrysler LHS (with 103,000 miles) the car did a
very abrupt downshift as I was approaching the turn into the driveway.
At the same time the "check engine" light came on and, as further
testing showed, the car was limited to reverse and first and second
gear.  Downshifts into first also became extremely abrupt.  Chrysler
succeeded.  I couldn't help but notice something was odd and the thing
would never upshift out of 2nd gear.

The problem turned out to be a failed input speed sensor on the
transaxle.  The computer monitors both input and output shaft speeds and
if one of them fails it throws up its hands and says "I don't know
what's going on with the tranny" then initiates the "limp home" mode.
$182 later I have new speed sensors at both ends.  Both parts are under
$30 each so it was deemed advisable to replace both at the same time
under the same labor charge.

The car is back to normal but I missed the good light on the Rose of
Sharon.  Maybe tomorrow.

Chuck Norcutt