Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 26: Peter Arnold's bodega

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 26: Peter Arnold's bodega
From: Willie Wonka <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 19:39:41 -0700 (PDT)
Nathan,

I rarely comment, but as you know I
always enjoy your photos.  This time the sich is different.  No, not
that I dont like them, I do, I do...but they upset me in so many
ways...true...:)

No, it isnt because you didnt cover the
celebrations of the fact that your adopted country is ahead of the
two most boring teams that ever existed...I dont care about football
either...Although, now that I thought about it, it would have been
nice to see the event through the lens of someone who isnt interested
in the sport at all...:)

Lemme preface the following with the
statement that in every industry, the trend is to sacrifice the
quality in the name of quantity.  This is more evident in the food
industry, especially wine industry as the worst offenders are US,
Spain and Chile, closely followed by South Africa and Australia.

I was really sceptical about the
Guardian's list and went to check it out.  Sceptical, coz as outlined
above there isnt much market for real wine in the anglo-saxon world.
And on the top of it, there has been growing criticism lately, mostly
in the British press in the sense that French wine is bad and how the
French and other nations with centuries old wine making traditions
should “take the guess out of the winemaking process”, etc...
Here is an example of a real ignorant moron:

http://www.ollysmith.com/

As someone who enjoys a glass of wine
with dinner every night, I have shared the results of my “research”
I did in the 96-97 period, during which I consistently bought wine in
the $25 range, mostly Californian.  As a wine, everything was a
plonk.  I didnt say it was bad tho...I could explain this with a
simple analogy between juice and Gatorade.  Gatorade doesnt taste
worse than juice, but it is definitely not a juice and you can tell
that it is a syntetic product.

Back to Guardian's list:  Dont know
anything about Peter Arnold.  I am really curious, because was
pleasantly surprised to find on it the names of couple of wineries
that offer real wine.

Now what really upset me...:)

This entire thing was a reminder of how
ruined my retirement plans are...I intended to retire as a wine
grower/maker.  I was to inherit 33 ares (ten square meters times
thirty three/thirty square feet times thirty three...) of 60 years
old vines.  Unfortunately, Bulgaria decided to get involved in yet
another German disaster and got an EU membership which came with some
devastating consequences, in terms of this conversation:  Many of the
vineyards had to be destroyed, Bulgaria was obligated to reduce the
size of its wine growing fields...  My family property (in prime wine country)
didnt make the cut...  But not all was bad...the Gatorade
people from the West, the ones that know how to take the guessing out
of the winemaking process came and built new shiny stainless steel
wineries and brought tons of wooden shavings ensuring that quality
Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and Chardonnay are readily available.
Yes, they also planted the above three grapes everywhere.  Welcome to
Capitalism, the Mother of Mediocrity.

But dont worry about me.  I dont get
upset for a long.  I am used to it by now.  For example, I do like
vegetables, but the ones that I buy from the store, taste just like
the plastic they are wrapped in.  I go and buy cheap chinese junk and
not only it looks cheap, but it also breaks, but thats how the
economy grows, right.  GDP is all that matters...

So back to my original thought after a
long rant.  Your pictures are great especially 5, 7 and 2 (not only
because there is a cat in it...:), but they upset me for the above
reasons...

Best

Boris