Re: [OM] IMG: From the Past (Leaded petrol)

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: From the Past (Leaded petrol)
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 23:02:19 +1200
Jim wrote

> Hi Charlie,
>
> The problem with avgas, which is now produced as 100LL (100 octane low
> lead), is that it still contains a small amount of lead, to provide
> anti-knock features.  The lead zealots want "no lead".  Several efforts
> are underway to develop no-lead alternatives, but none have been
> commercially produced.
>
> The lead content also provides a headache for the refining companies,
> because they cannot run it through pipelines that are used for other
> fuels.

It is simply not true that no anti-knock alternative to lead tetra-ethyl exists.

There are many motorists in New Zealand who use older cars that require
leaded petrol or something that substitutes for it, and the additive is easily
available over the counter.  Off the top of my head I don't remember the
name of it, and my old Ford Transit van to which I fitted a Zodiac 3L motor is
500 km north in Christchurch, and its there I have some of the additive; and
I've seem it in auto shops recently.  It is some kind of phosphate, is all I
remember right now.

When I see it again, I'll advise - maybe I'll ask at the local garage a mile
away - they most likely stock it still.

Brian Swale.