[OM] IMG: Another Friday Flower, With a Nose?

Subject: [OM] IMG: Another Friday Flower, With a Nose?
From: Dean Hansen <hanse112@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 09:49:02 -0500
Jim recently posted:

"I shot two shots of this visitor without seeing the abnormality, which
I didn't notice until I processed the images.  By that time the
long-nosed visitor had disappeared.  Do any of you naturalists out there
recognize the Durante-like snoz?

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Butterfly.jpg.html

   Jim has since identified the butterfly with the Durante-like snoz as
the American Snout Butterfly.  It's an uncommon immigrant up here in
Minnesota (and nearby Wisconsin).
    More information on the butterfly is at
<http://wisconsinbutterflies.org/butterfly/species/61-american-snout>.
   I like the dynamic aspect of Jim's shot--there's more "going on" in
his picture than in the three shots on the Wisconsin butterfly site.
Does Jim's shot show a lower dynamic range with a digital camera than is
possible with film?  The angle of the sun in Jim's shot catches the
upperside of the butterfly's left forewing at an oblique angle, which
brings out the slight irregularities caused by the wing's veins.  But
the undersides of the right wings are shaded and lose detail, as does
the underside of the butterfly's thorax and abdomen.  The uppersides of
the leaves, on the other hand, are blown out by the direct sunlight.
Would an axial fill flash have helped?  Or a diffuser to block out the
direct sunlight?
    Grab shots of subjects unwilling to pose in just the right lighting
and setting are a challenge.  Jim did a good job on this one.
Dean