Re: [OM] IMG: Another Friday Flower, With a Nose?

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Another Friday Flower, With a Nose?
From: "Jim Nichols" <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 11:23:18 -0500
Hi Dean,

I hoped I would hear from you.  Two things worked against me in this shot.
First, the insects move from bloom to bloom on this bush continuously, so
time is short. I managed to get two shots of this one, and this was the
sharper of the two.  The lighting was harsh, but mid morning is when the
insects appear.

Second, nature gave this fellow a very nice camouflage job.  If you look
close, the undersides of the wings, and even the snout, have a "mottled"
pattern of bland colors.  I read that they can hang upside down on the
underside of a tree branch and appear to preditors as if they were a dead
leaf.

Thanks for looking, and for the kind words.  I have not recently tried fill
flash for this kind of shot.  Maybe I should give it a try.  However, I bet
I only get one shot that way, before he leaves the area.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA