Re: [OM] ( OM ) re the Digest (#11) with the spam link

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) re the Digest (#11) with the spam link
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 11:03:09 -0700
  On 7/17/2010 4:55 AM, Brian Swale wrote:
> I sent two versions of the Digest to myself;  One from which I had removed
> the link to the supposedly malicious site, and one from which I had not.
>
> The version without the link came through (back to me) OK.
>
> Re-entry of the version containing the link was blocked by my ISP. See the
> details below, if you are interested.  It was not AVAST which stopped it.
>
> I sent it twice, once with Avast running, and once with it turned off.

As I tried to say before, but perhaps with inadequate clarity, your ISP is
refusing to receive the email, blocking it,
usually bouncing it back to sender. Hence the message at the top of the failure
to deliver notice: "5.x.0 - Message
bounced by administrator"

This is different than spam filtering. The email never gets past the doorkeeper
further into the system, so the ISP spam
filter never sees it, let alone your local Avast.

Many large ISPs, and I suppose some small ones, subscribe to list(s) of web
addresses known or suspected of sending
excessive spam, hosting malware sites, phishing scams, etc. All incoming email
is compared to this list and any item
from or containing any of the suspect addresses is rejected.

That's why I couldn't use my ISP for list mail when the list was at the prior
host in France. The host would go on and
off the bad list, resulting in breaks in receiving list messages.

Were I you, I would refrain from sending out test emails containing links to
blocked sites. You could end up on a bad list.

Moose