[OM] OT: New External HDD

Subject: [OM] OT: New External HDD
From: "Jim Nichols" <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 10:28:12 -0500
Cc: Olympus Camera Discussion <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
I would like to thank all of those who contributed advice and their own
experiences to aid me in my selection of an external enclosure and HDD.
Yesterday, I received from Newegg a Rosewill fan-cooled enclosure and a WD
750GB Caviar Black SATA drive.  After assembling, formatting, and installing
all the hardware, I now have a very nice expansion to my desktop system.

I encountered only two frustrations in going through this process.  The first,
which I vaguely recalled from a year or so earlier, was the instruction to
"right click" on the box showing the unallocated drive, to bring up the wizard
for formatting the drive.  I kept clicking on the large box on the right, which
brought up a pop-up to click on, but nothing happened.  I finally found some
old notes which told me to "right click" on the small box on the left, which
brings up a pop-up which allows you to initiate the wizard.  I mention this in
case anyone else encounters it.

The second problem involved removing the filler strip in the back of the Dell
case, in order to install the SATA to eSATA adapter.  The retaining screw must
have been installed by King Kong using an impact wrench.  No screwdriver or
socket wrench would turn it.  I finally resorted to a set of precision
end-wrenches and was able to apply enough torque to remove it.

I also followed the advice given me to connect via eSATA rather than USB2.0.
Except for the problem removing the screw, this modification was very easy to
accomplish.

Thanks, once again, for all of the help.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA