Re: [OM] IMG: Another Butterfly

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Another Butterfly
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 07:58:16 +0200
I just got an iPhone for my wife which required signing up with a new provider
(Movistar). The range of plans on offer was pretty decent, and one could choose
what made the most sense based on calling pattern. I chose a plan that gives
her a decent low-per minute rate (but no free minutes), but on the other hand
unlimited data for 25 EUR per month.

The roaming charges when travelling internationally are a fixture of the old
settlements/accounting rates system that governed international telecoms until
technology blew it apart beginning in the 1990s. At least within Europe the
price for roaming is now capped at 50 cents/minute. I do not want to know what
my bill for the 10 days in the US was...

And I thought that the ridiculous practice of having the receiver pay for an
incoming call or text message (aside from roaming) had been abandoned even in
the US.

Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain