Re: [OM] for the resident grammarians/English-defenders, etc

Subject: Re: [OM] for the resident grammarians/English-defenders, etc
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 16:04:03 -0500
I grew up with that belief system that the earth is about 6000 years
old. Do I personally believe that? Like so many other things involving
our "beginnings" it's a nice theory.

Do I believe that it is possible that God could have done it in six
days? Sure, why not?  Here's one pespective:

If God created it in six days and basically treated it as a work of
art, how would that be different than an artist making a painting? The
artist doesn't show the process, only the final outcome. Or a writer
writing a book.  You read the final results, not the process of
writing. How about the fossel record?  Mystery and intruigue. If
everything was too cut and dried for us we still wouldn't accept it as
perfect or good. Anybody with teenagers can attest to that.

Is the above plausable? Sure. Likely? Probably not. I have my own way
of understanding these things and have chosen my own answers based on
my own way of thinking.

But would I be summarily dismissive of somebody who believes a six-day
theory? Not any more than of somebody who thinks we all evolved from
apes, fish or worms. Both theories are a bit "out there" and don't
compute to my mind.

None of us were around 6000 years ago to know if it was created in a
snap of some finger or we were beginning to pound tools out of rocks.
Either a god of some form created everything in the model of the arts
and engineering, or it all just "happened". And what is to say that
the trigger which formed the universe won't happen again next week
wiping out this one. Makes the argument over global warming seem kinda
stupid.

As to the "engineering" aspect, without the evidence of billions of
years of corals and other see creatures we wouldn't have limestone.
Without the millions of years of the dinos, we wouldn't have oil (and
we'd have long ago exhausted the world's supply of whales). If it
wasn't for the millions of years of plant life we wouldn't have coal.
To the creationist, these elements could have been created in a day
using the model of life-science to accomplish the task

AG