Re: [OM] Requiem for print photography

Subject: Re: [OM] Requiem for print photography
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 17:40:03 -0500
> Many folks, I'm sure, wrote the same kind of piece about buggy whips.

I've got a problem with the "buggy whip" analogy. Buggy whips were not
replaced by a different technology. They aren't even obsolete!  If you
happen to have a buggy, it is quite beneficial to have a buggy whip.
Jangling a set of keys in your pocket just isn't going to do the same
thing. Buggies became less common as the automobile replaced the
horses and buggies, but use of mechanisation isn't universal. There
are both applications and places where the "old tech" is still quite
beneficial.

Now, if you want to say that the horse and buggy itself is worth
lamenting about, then fine, I agree because it was directly replaced
by another technology. But I'll pass on that little nightmare, thank
you very much. A day on Mackinaw Island and I've had all the horse poo
I can stand.

In a very few short years, an upcoming version of Photoshop will allow
you to create an entire photograph right from your desk. Just Google
Earth yourself to the location of your choice, identify the lighting
conditions and season, toss in a few custom attributes and press the
"OK" button. Up pops a fully rendered scene exactly as you want
it--all without even using a camera. At that point the digital camera
will be as obsolete for most people as a film camera is today. There
are so many millions of photographs out there that Photoshop will have
been able to determine exactness of every inch on earth and all you
have to do is move your virtual tripod, frame and shoot.

AG (my head hurts) Schnozz