Re: [OM] Requiem for print photography, politics

Subject: Re: [OM] Requiem for print photography, politics
From: Nicholas Herndon <nherndon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 10:46:56 -0500
You're comparing practical tools to instruments used in art.  Sure,
there are photographers who use their cameras to earn their bread, but
that's a minority.

A better comparison would be synthetic versus natural hair brushes.
Artists can debate their mertis all day long (and for all I know they
do) and house painters couldn't give a rat's behind.  The fact
remains, they are different instruments for the same thing, and just
because film is old tech does not mean it is obsolete.  It will still
have its place in photography for a while yet.

>Many folks, I'm sure, wrote the same kind of piece about buggy whips.
>And while they likely didn't write about the demise of obsidian spear
>points, I'm sure the lamentations were sung. <g>

Thanks for sharing the article, AZ, I found it edifying.

As an aside, could we please keep politics out of the OM list (or at
least to a minimum)?  If I wanted to hear about that shit I'd go on
Huffington Post or Instapundit or any one of a million websites
devoted to political discourse.  I read the OM list specifically
because it stays out of the muddied waters of politics and religion
and other such subjects.  Thanks.