Re: [OM] IMG: Details

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Details
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2010 08:46:45 -0400
I was also surprised by the apparent depth of field and had some
discussion off list with Jim about the actual depth of the flower head
(about 4") and the distance from which the shot was taken (about 16"
from the image plane).  To get a depth of 4" with a 35mm lens at f/10
you have to assume resolution of only 25 line pairs/mm and that's before
factoring in the diffraction loss on a 4/3 sensor at f/10.  To make a
really crisp 8x10 from a 4/3 sensor you'd like to have resolution of 60
line pairs/mm.  So, what looks really good on the screen might not hold
up very well in a moderately large print.

Chuck Norcutt