Re: [OM] OT - American railways

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - American railways
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 12:09:58 -0500
since we were still in Missouri and the tracks there were a little rough,
probably around 90 mph.  He also said that when we got out into Kansas we
would be running at over 100 mph.

The "speed record" for regular service was once on the Santa Fe in Western
Kansas. As they said on the radio, In and around Dodge City, the mainline
was staright as a string for miles and miles, and the track was well
maintained. Speeds of around 110 were not uncommon. And, that was with
steam. The steam locomotive could go as fast as it could, as long as it held
together. Diesels are limited by gear ratios.

Bill Pearce