Re: [OM] IMG: Higher Resolution Cleome Image

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Higher Resolution Cleome Image
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2010 14:01:48 -0400
Sorry, I guess I didn't make myself clear.  I was not disparaging Jim,
or the E-510 or the 35/3.5 macro.  I was only talking about the apparent
depth of field... that what appeared sharp in the far background (the
furthest extent of the DOF) on a small screen image would not be so
sharp on an 8x10 print.  The size of your image is only 1129 pixels
vertically.  When printed 8x10 the resolution (without interpolation) is
only 141 pixels/inch.  At normal reading distance typical human vision
(not counting Moose) requires 300 pixels per inch such that we don't
discern the pixels.  This image can't be printed larger than 4x5 to
accomplish that.  That doesn't mean you still can't make a good looking
8x10 with interpolation but I believe the apparent depth and some of the
sharpness of the small image will be lost in the enlargement.

Chuck Norcutt