[OM] [OT] - Advice wanted about 5D2

Subject: [OM] [OT] - Advice wanted about 5D2
From: SwissPace <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2010 10:40:09 +0200
Hi All,

After focussing problems using the OM 35/80/2.8 with my 5D2, I finally
settled on using it in Tv (shutter priority) mode with aseting of 1/125
and then adjusting the aperture manually with iso set to auto which gave
me automatic exposure so with the lens set at F8 or so I could focus
quite quickly and it did seem to work reasonable well.

In the meantime I have been thinking about switching over to canyon
glass ( the 70-200/4 is I am unhappy to say very good ;-) - although
sometimes AF gets confused and is not as good as E-3). A few weeks ago I
saw a tokina 28-80/2.8 ATX pro that chuck uses and recommends come up on
the local auction site so I put a bid on it and forgot about it. Last
week I got a call from my wife asking what lens I had bought now! it
seems I was the only one to bid and had won it.

Stupidly on Saturday I used only that lens without prior testing for our
trip to the forest in P mode, when I loaded the pictures up none were
sharp, I had read subsequent reviews that said the lens is not sharp and
wondered if I had bought a dud, but knowing chuck was happy with his I
investigated further and saw most of the shutter speeds were 1/30 or
1/60 so the reason the images weren't sharp is because of camera shake.

So now the question is how do I set up the camera so that the shutter
speed doesn't drop below 1/125 (unless I want it) and that the aperture
stays above F4 (its looks a bit soft at F2.8 but I need to verify that)
unfortunately unlike the OM lenses I cannot set the aperture manually on
the lens. Yes I could use the camera in manual mode but I would like to
only have to concentrate on focus - for my quick shots. My family and
guests are very patient but I am often under time pressure to take my
photos.

Also I noticed using the shift that the exposure varied considerably
with the metering seemingly inconsistent, could this be light entering
through the eyepiece or some other anonoly, I tried it with evaluative
centre and spot meter modes but found that sometimes it would way
overexpose..

I am on the verge of jumping ship, and if it wasn't for my OM zuiko's I
would probably sell all and follow in Bob's footsteps to  get a nykon
D700 (D3 is too big for me) back for the apparently brilliant 12-24/2.8
- if I stick with canyon however I can use the nykon 12-24/2.8 lens and
my OM glass.   I think however my days with Olympus digital are
numbered, although I wish I had the E-3 with me when it was pouring down
with rain at Stein am Rhein last week.  --- Where oh where is that
perfect camera? - why oh why didn't digital film reach production?

any advice appreciated

IanW