[OM] OT - was US railroads

Subject: [OM] OT - was US railroads
From: Brian Gray <bsg017@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2010 22:07:12 +0100
John Hudson wrote:I'd bet that UK road traffic pays a premium for the
use of the country's
roads with gas prices comprising about 95% taxes and the rest recompense to
the oil companies for pumping the stuff out of the ground :-)

Horrors ...... I have to budget for ~ 1000 miles of UK driving this coming
September.

OK John, but at least my current, new, smallish diesel car gets about
54 miles per UK gallon. but that is still means 1 UKP worth of fuel
only covers 10 miles at our current prices.   Annual road licence
charges are also significantly lower for such cars (about 30UKP per
year) as the government encourages us to reduce carbon emissions via
our pockets which I think is a method you would approve of.

Brian Gray