Re: [OM] American railways

Subject: Re: [OM] American railways
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 08:52:57 -0700
> From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> ... as always, humankind will adapt

"Always" is such a long time.

Are you referring to the "always" of the past couple hundred years of
industrialization, or the "always" of the past couple tens of
thousands of years of human agriculture, or the "always" of the past
couple hundred thousand years of modern homo sapiens, or the "always"
of the couple hundred million years of the cockroach?

Things could turn on a dime. The base of the global food chain
(phytoplankton) has declined by 40% since we've started pumping CO2
into the air. Humans may well be resilient, but last I checked, we
still need to eat.
        http://lmgtfy.com/?q=phytoplankton+decline