Re: [OM] [OT] - Advice wanted about 5D2

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] - Advice wanted about 5D2
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 17:13:33 -0500
> But I did use program mode once on another camera when things started
> moving too fast for me to keep up.

I think it really depends on the camera in question. As a general rule
I've shied away from full program-mode on my cameras, but there are a
couple of exceptions. The Panasonic L1 is surprisingly good in program
mode (A-Aperture, A-Shutter Speed) and keeps the settings in the
neighborhood of where I would normally shoot at. Most cameras tend to
go too wide with the aperture when dim and stop down too much when
bright. The L1 seems to strike a better balance than most and tends to
bias the aperture towards the middle apertures--just as I usually do
in Aperture Priority mode.

The E-1 is one of those cameras that just doesn't seem to get Program
Mode right. I'm doing the program-shift function more often than
not--which defeats the purpose of using Program Mode in the first
place. As to the Minolta A1, as the lens is essentially perfect at
almost all apertures and DoF is rich to begin with, I actually end up
using Program Mode there as much as Aperture Priority and Manual
Exposure.

AG