Re: [OM] VueScan specs

Subject: Re: [OM] VueScan specs
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2010 13:53:34 -0700
  With VueScan, turning IR cleaning on and off and to Light, Med and Heavy is a
separate setting, not tied to the film
being scanned.

I have some modest experience with Kodachrome scanning and IR cleaning.

The basic problem is that, like the silver in B&W negs, the dyes in Kodachrome
block IR, so the software often can't
distinguish the difference between dust and image.

I found that VueScan IR cleaning worked pretty well in areas with little dye,
i.e. light areas, like sky. Fortunately,
those are also the areas most in need of spotting. The black dust specks of
scanned slides tend to disappear in darker
and busier areas. In dark areas, IR cleaning did produce some noticeable
artifacts, although fewer than I expected.

Next time I do some Kodachrome, I'm going to scan to 64 bit RGBI "RAW" without
applying any other adjustments, including
no IR cleaning, just as I usually do. Then I'll "scan"twice  from the RAW file
for two output files, one with and one
without IR cleaning, drop one atop the other in PS as layers, paint a layer
mask to get the best of both, then merge.

No Spotting Moose