[OM] Bond...James Bond (was: OM sighting)

Subject: [OM] Bond...James Bond (was: OM sighting)
From: Marc Lawrence <montsnmags@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 20:09:49 +1000
Scripts aside, I quite like Daniel Craig as Bond, because he is Daniel
Craig as Bond rather than trying to be a predecessor (too much time
was wasted chasing Mr. Connery). I am also much-enamoured of the
recent movies because of the magnificent Judi Dench. I used to like
Pierce Brosnan, but suspect his attempts have not aged well (his
movies start next week, so I'll see). Sean Connery was very good, of
course, but watching the movies...well, they still have the original
zing of pleasure for me, but CGI and big budgets have not been kind to
hindsight, and social attitudes have...changed. Still, if I could get
a complete box set that included "Never Say Never Again" (non-EON
film), I'd have already bought it. Lazenby was both better and worse
than I remembered.

I don't pretend a lot of rationality in this. My father owned early
paperback versions of Fleming's books, and thus they were movies I
watched repeatedly on telly while I was growing up, or at the movies
as the newer ones were released (Roger Moore onwards, plus the
aforementioned Never Say Never Again, which I only just recently
realized was a remake of Thunderball. Sometimes I'm slow. :) ). I will
bag them as much as anyone, and watch every time one shows.

One thing I will say, to every Bond villain ever, just as a passing
tip: JUST. SHOOT. HIM!!!

As for "aging"...I will continue to blame my ever-increasing
assimilation with the iBorg (I have begun to give up arguing with the
iPhone and iPad).

Cheers,
Marc
Sent from my iPad (I added this in..it's not the default sig', honest. ;) )