Re: [OM] Focus Accuracy Test - Oh what misery we bring uponourselves

Subject: Re: [OM] Focus Accuracy Test - Oh what misery we bring uponourselves
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 09:39:11 -0500
> I'm not sure if 5D II has poorer liveview than L1 but based on the DOF
> calculator:
>
> http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html
>
> If I set CoC to 0.006mm (35mm/5616pixel), object distance 5.5 meter, the DoF
> is 4.74m to 6.56m. It indicates one cannot differentiate the focus between 5
> and 6 meter, or I have missed something?

Basically, the rule of thumb is that when you select a single point
and attempt to focus in to that point from one direction you correct
in that it is difficult to identify one focus point from another as
they both fall within the margin of error (DoF). But if you rock back
and forth you'll establish the points of known defocus and then be
able to adjust to a midpoint. Somehow I managed to successfully do
this to a greater granularity than would normally be possible.

AG