Re: [OM] Reduced Flash Intensity for CloseUps

Subject: Re: [OM] Reduced Flash Intensity for CloseUps
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 13:39:37 -0500
I'm reminded of something....

The old Olympus IS-1, 2 and 3 had a matched macro "lens" (supplemental
optic) which you could buy. It came with a plastic flash diffuser when
mounted on top of the lens. The on-camera flash would fire through
this diffuser.  It REALLY worked well. Oh, and the macro lens itself
was a multi-element affair that was remarkably good. I sold more than
one picture taken with that setup as well as that lens mounted on my
100 F2.8.

What is kinda neat is how much plastic packaging today is easily
modified into flash diffusers. Just buy a CF memory card and cut open
the package from around the perimeter. After card removal, you can use
a spray adhesive to secure the coffee filter to it. Then start cutting
away. Cut a slightly more than half-moon circle in the bottom part of
this filter ever so slightly smaller than the diameter of your lens.
If you are really good you can pinch hold it in place with a UV
filter. Otherwise leave a couple of tabs on it which can be folded
over onto the lens barrel and secure it with pony-tail rubber bands.
(there is a reason why I've grown my hair out).

Or just secure a partially inflated white balloon or condom to the
on-camera flash.

AG