Re: [OM] IMG: Crab Spider

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Crab Spider
From: Marc Lawrence <montsnmags@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 08:27:18 +1000
> Chris Crawford recently posted: "You shouldn't have killed it, Crab
> Spiders are cool. They change colors to match the flowers they sit on,
> so they can ambush bugs that frequent flowers, like bees."

I'm not sure, but I think this might only extend to the Goldenrod Crab
Spider, and then only between the colours yellow and white (and it is
not an "instant" thing, as with some other colour-changing animals).
I'd happily stand corrected on this.

Crab Spiders are some of the nicest-looking spiders (as Jim's and
Moose's photos attest), but I also live with someone who must be
restrained from wielding the shoe, Jim, in his case inside and out.
Should that spider be as large as a Huntsman (think something that
looks as big as an open handspan, and that likes to sit high on the
walls, inevitably somewhere near the head end of the bed), that
feeling is understandable even by me. The
magazine-and-Tupperware-container trick works there. I do point out
that the remarkable absence of mossies and flies in our house (where
we leave our doors open all the time, and where the environment would
otherwise indicate massive numbers), is likely down to all the
different spiders of several species we see in and, more often, around
the house (those, and the hornets and solitary wasps, and the dragon
flies, and the geckos, and so on).

I must admit I get more of a fright when inadvertently walking through
the tough webs of some of the big garden spiders, or accidentally
knocking a paper ant (not sure of actual species) in the palms and
having a mass of their mid-sized black bodies fall on and run all over
me (though thankfully, they don't seem aggressive, and have never
harmed me even when provoked with my wild batting and barely
restrained squeals).

Bees frighten the crap out of me though. I save them from the pool,
but it's a close thing for me. :)

Cheers,
Marc
Noosa Heads