Re: [OM] Doing the Splits

Subject: Re: [OM] Doing the Splits
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 09:03:58 -0500
> I hesitate to say this since it's not my intention to cause a new flurry
> of testing but, if it can't be done with 10X live view on 4/3 at 24mm I
> don't believe it can be done with at 50mm with an OM and 2-13 screen.

No worries. I'm not going to bother because I KNOW what I see in the
viewfinder. It gobsmacks you. This isn't even something I'm going to
worry about.

Liveview on the L1 is a necessity because the OVF is so horrid it is
barely more functional than general-purpose framing. The Olympus team
that determined the acceptability of this viewfinder should have all
been fired. (ask me how I really feel and I'll probably describe
suspension from body parts). Liveview with magnification is also
necessary, but actually a little more difficult, because the visual
contrasting is off. A decent OVF, as in the OM with 2-13 screen or an
OM with 1-4 screen is actually much easier to critical focus than
liveview with magnifier. Actually, the 1-4 screen is arguably the best
critical focus setup (made even better with the vari-maggot finder)
ever seen in an Olympus product.

The funny thing about this discussion is that I'm here getting all
A.R. over critical focusing and I'm the same person that claims that
we are all stupid about needing 1:1 pixel to pixel ratio in prints.

AG