Re: [OM] Mother and Child

Subject: Re: [OM] Mother and Child
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 12:30:26 -0500
> Nice shot.  The ears are at full alert!  I didn't know there were that many
> hills in Iowa.

Want to go bicycling with me?  That'll teach you about hills in Iowa.
:)  Iowa ain't Minnesota.

It does vary a little bit--depending on where you are in the state.
Between Des Moines and Omaha the hills are very long and shallow. East
and south of Des Moines they are shorter and steeper. North of Des
Moines it is pretty flat.

The Jacob Krumm Nature Preserve, where this photo was taken, is right
off I-80. If I rotated the camera 90 degrees to the right you'd see
the interstate about half a mile away. There are a couple of
interconnected loop trails which are usually pretty well maintained.
Multiple ponds, foot bridges and wild creatures help add some
interest. The way it is situated you can hike for 20 minutes or up to
a couple of hours without backtracking except for one interconnecting
trail between the east and west loops.

If you bring your tripod along on a hike, do make sure you have your
QR plates with you.

AG