[OM] Vuescan major success

Subject: [OM] Vuescan major success
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 13:57:28 -0500
For the first time ever, I've been able to get Vuescan to correctly
scan a strip of negatives in the Coolscan V-ED. It has always been
something standing in the way of getting it to work, but a Version du
Jour must have finally fixed the remaining issue that kept mine in the
outs.

Now, the offset and spacing is set back to "0" and the auto alignment
works!  The only problem I've found is that it won't find the frame
edge correctly if either end of picture frame is too clear which
doesn't give it an edge to determine frame boundary. Nikonscan will
also have this problem too, but not as often as Vuescan.

This really pleases me because scanning is much faster with Vuescan
and I can apply profiles. Nikonscan is still the easier/better way to
handle skintones so far and the auto-exposure adjustments don't get
quite so rambunctious. Vuescan also gives me multipass with HDR-like
capabilities.

Vuescan isn't perfect, but does give me the ability to work in a
calibrated environment where I can profile the film. Can't do that
with Nikonscan.

AG