Re: [OM] Odd behavior E-30

Subject: Re: [OM] Odd behavior E-30
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 16:42:50 -0400
A professional level camera should get 150,000 shutter actuations.
Lesser cameras perhaps 30-50,000.  30,000 was good for a film camera but
digital has proven to have tougher requirements.

But before sending this E-30 off the the Olympus doctor make sure this
is not a flash synchronization problem.  If the camera is fired at a
shutter speed higher then the flash sync speed you will get exactly the
appearance some of your test photos showed.  At high speed the flash can
fire (near instantaneously) and before the first curtain has cleared the
sensor.  Result is a shadow on the sensor cast by the shutter curtain.
You said it only appeared at high speed so that made me suspicious.

If you're sure the flash wasn't in use then send it off to the camera
doc.  But if the flash was possibly in use test again without the flash.

Dr. Flash