[OM] ( OM) OT pesky programs

Subject: [OM] ( OM) OT pesky programs
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 00:22:55 +1200
For some time now I have been plagued with some program that kept
downloading stuff when I was busy connected to the web, and trying to do
my own thing.

Given the lousy connection speed I have to put up with here, sometimes
down to 9 kbps as the lines? thaw in the morning (40 kbps tops) when the
sun warms things up, this was noticeable.

I have installed Win Patrol (Scotty's on Patrol !) and it started to give me
clues; then it reported that a new QT item had been downloaded.

The last straw came yesterday when I came into the study to find some
program was successfully starting an internet connection. And Yes, my anti-
virus stuff is up to date, and  Spy-Bot had just done a scan.

I came to the conclusion that Apple Quick-time was the culprit. So an hour
ago I uninstalled it. Heaven.  No more sneaky downloads.

I don't need it, as the audio system on this machine doesn't work, which is
fine by me.

Brian Swale.