Re: [OM] OM wides (21/2, et al)

Subject: Re: [OM] OM wides (21/2, et al)
From: "Sawyer, Edward" <Ed.Sawyer@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 09:03:00 -0400
All the OM wides are great, particularly the f/2 versions of course but even
the slower ones. I have all of them and can't pick a favorite. Probably for
extreme width the 18 is unbeatable. I shot a car show with just the 21/2 and
24/2 and that was a great combo. I haven't used the 28/2 as much but I like
that focal length a fair bit, it can work ok on people w/o crazy distortion in
the corners. Speaking of 24s, the 24/shift is an amazingly versatile lens, even
when not requiring shifting. And not even all that big, compared to lenses from
canon, etc.

If the OM system had to be known for single outstanding thing, I'd have to say
their wide-angle lineup was one of, if not *the* single best thing the system.
The fast teles, Macro lineup and overall commitment to smallness would be close
runner-ups. It's amazing that some 20-30 years down the road, some of the OM
glass still holds its own or remains unbeaten even by more modern optics from
Canon, et al.

Nick good choice on the Mamiya 7 lust. That is easily the best medium-format
system in existence in my opinion. If I had to give up all cameras but one, the
Mamiya 7 would be the one I'd keep. The RZ67 is a close 2nd but everytime I
look at results from the Mamiya 7 43mm or 50mm, I forget about everything else.

-Ed