[OM] Is Moosie in WUV?

Subject: [OM] Is Moosie in WUV?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 21:47:52 -0700
  OMG! It may be LUV!

All you folks who think Canon is wrongheaded in their products may start
blaming it on me. They may well be using some
kind of mind probe into my brain to decide what to do next.

Evidence:

Moose Brain: I went nuts trying to decide whether to get an A650 IS or G9, as
each had features I really wanted, but
neither had all of them. Both had too high a pixel count for optimum IQ, and to
no actual photographic purpose I could
see. Went with A650,and it was good, but ...

Canon: G11
-----------------------------------
MB: Hmmm ... I'd really like something smaller and lighter than the G11, really
pocketable, but with RAW and decent IQ.
So I look closely at the S90. Tempting, but does it really add enough to what I
have? Also, I've tried a few videos with
the G11, and they aren't particularly impressive.

Canon: S95 (However, see below to know why the cost of an S95 is being saved
toward something else.)
-----------------------------------
MB: I'd like to add an APS size sensor camera to my kit. I'd like the added bit
of DOF* and the multiplier effect for
tele. And the 300D is really outdated as a back-up for the 5D.

Back and forth, back and forth ... 7D looks really nice, but it's awfully
expensive for what I need. xxxD series have a
lot of good things, but I'm not sure I can stand going back to only one control
wheel and no top deck LCD. By the time
you get all the other goodies, it's $900.

Why, oh why no articulated screens? I am well and truly hooked on them from the
A650 and G11. One major reason I always
have both 5D and G11 active is the extra flexibility of the articulated LCD. I
just can't see through the 5D viewfinder
with it over my head, around a corner or under a plant.

And BTW, when is Canon going to wake up and smell the truth about Auto ISO.
It's not much use without a user settable
cap, and the competition is already doing it.

Canon: 60D

Smaller, lighter and cheaper than the 7D, and adds the articulated LCD and
adjustable auto ISO cap. Not weather sealed,
but then neither is the 5D and I tend not to be out in extremes, anyway. And it
goes to SD cards, but I suppose that's
the way all but pro cameras will be going.

I wonder what the kit with 18-55 will cost after things settle down. ;-)

Moose

* Yes, I know, Dr. DOF.