Re: [OM] Planned Obsolescence, OM Wides

Subject: Re: [OM] Planned Obsolescence, OM Wides
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 09:18:58 -0500
Just shout'n from the mountain top here that I felt Moose's post was dead on.

I am a pleased owner of a Nikon Coolscan V-ED that made only one
mistake in getting this scanner. Karen had told me to get the 5000,
but I felt that would have been a luxury not justified. When buying
it, I thought my film shooting days were over and I was just going to
be digitizing my existing library. How wrong I was. I would love
having the ability to auto scan entire rolls of C-41 film. Oh, and it
is faster.

Is there room for improvement with scanners? Yes. Will we ever see it?
Probably not. We've reached the end of that technology evolution.
Chances are, we have actually crossed over and Moose's suggestion of
digitizing by means of a digital camera is superior. The only caveat
is dust and scratch removal. The camera approach is also tons faster.

My next scanner would be a canon or epson flatbed scanner that allows
me to scan large negs and trannies. It'll have to wait a little while
longer, but I won't shoot large format again without it.

AG

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx