Re: [OM] Random acts of kindness

Subject: Re: [OM] Random acts of kindness
From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 19:44:09 -0400
I agree on both counts. I have been given a lot of stuff over the years, and
a lot of stuff has left my hands to help others too. There's a guy on the
Cosina Voigtlander User List who is a teacher in California. He and a couple
of other teachers out there started a photo program for poor immigrant kids
out there, using donated cameras, film, and chemicals. The school system
they work for wants nothing to do with it, so they go out to the migrant
labor camps where the kids parents are picking out vegetables and they give
the kids cameras and film and teach them to use them to photograph their
families and friends and their everyday lives. They just put out a book of
the kids' photos, and the stuff was really incredible. I've sent him several
lenses and I have a few other things to send once I make it to the post
office again.

I've given stuff to others too over the years as well. It feels good to see
others able to have fun with the gear that I don't need, and I think pays
back for the immense help I have gotten from others over the years as I
struggled with poverty and inability to find a job or make a decent living.
Things are getting better for us here, I have been selling enough of my
photos off my website to support us without much struggle in the last year.
We're not middle class yet, but we're not hurting bad either. Despite the
economy, which is REALLY REALLY BAD here in Indiana, my life is getting
better.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography