Re: [OM] IMG: Mouse Glow

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Mouse Glow
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 07:42:36 -0400
Nice shot.  But as to your suppositions on asymmetrical lighting I don't
think there's anything strange going on with the flash.  Remember that,
in every flash pic there are two exposures.  There is a flash exposure
controlled only by flash power, ISO and aperture.  And there is an
ambient light exposure controlled by ambient light, ISO, aperture and
shutter speed.  Shutter speed plays no part in the flash exposure unless
the speed exceeds the sync speed (1/180 on E-510).  But shutter speed
does play a part in the ambient exposure and grows larger with slower
speeds.  1/13 second is plenty long enough for the ambient light to play
a significant part in the exposure.  Any asymmetrical lighting effects
are probably a combination of the ambient plus rapid light falloff from
the flash over such a short distance.

Dr. Flash