Re: [OM] Don't wear flip flops around scorpions!

Subject: Re: [OM] Don't wear flip flops around scorpions!
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 15:01:16 -0400
No, I'm not a herpetologist, I just like to know what lives in my
neighgorhoods and what they look like and how they act.  To that end I
have lots of books on poisonous plants, insects and reptiles.

I first became interested when we lived in Woodstock, NY in the woods
amongst lots of stone walls and quarries.  I realized soon that the area
is populated with timber rattlers and copperheads but none of them ever
chose to visit me.  Afterwards we moved to South Florida where I
eventually worked for 6 years as a volunteer for the US Fish & Wildlife
Service at the Loxahatchee National Wildlife Refuge.
<http://www.fws.gov/loxahatchee/>  There I received a lot of formal and
informal training in all of the flora and fauna of the Everglades part
of which you shouldn't eat or allow to bite or eat you.  I'm much more
familiar with gators and water moccasins than rattlesnakes.  But I did
live for about 1-1/2 years in Texas too.  :-)

Chuck Norcutt